Full title: Topographia Archiducatus Carinthiae modernae: das ist Controfee aller Stätt, Märckht, Clöster, undt Schlösser, wie sie anietzo stehen in dem Ertzhertzogthumb Khärnten; Wagensperg in Crain (Bogenšperg), 1681; Nürnberg, 1688
This is an album consi sting of the frontispiece and 319 copperplates of towns, boroughs, monasteries and castles in the then Carniola. The prints are numbered and arranged in the alphabetical order of place name s in German, with an addition of Slovene names. Texts: at the beginning there is a dedication in Latin to the Provincial Estates in Carniola and a greeting and best wishes, also in Latin, by P. Ritter Vitezović. The work also includes a list of pictures and a list of castle owners in German and 93 one of castles in Slovene. The text was printed by Janez Krstnik Mayr in Ljubljana. The drawings were made by Valvasor, the copperplates by A. Trost, R. Vitezović and P. Mungerstorff. Valvasor used more than two thirds of the depictions from this album in The Glory of the Duchy of Carniola. Unfortunately, the plates were too long for the format of the latter work and had to be shortened on the left or the right sides, or both.
The National Museum Library
Description from Christies:
Engraved frontispiece, double-page map, folding panorama of Klagenfurt and 277 engraved views, numbered 1-223 with 4 unnumbered, by Andreas Trost, Matthias Greischer, and Petrus Mungerstorff after Valvasor. Most leaves mounted on guards.
Second edition of these ATTRACTIVE AND UNUSUAL VIEWS OF CARINTHIA, part of Valvasor’s ambitious scheme to record the towns, fortifications, and great residences of the Austro-Hungarian empire. The first edition appeared at Wagensperg and Laybach in 1681. By an unusual arrangement, the numbered views are all printed two to a page, on the recto of the second leaf of each bifolium. The descriptive text appears opposite, on the verso of the first leaf, leaving the initial recto and final verso of each bifolium blank. However, the size of the plates is such that the extreme left hand of each plate, displaying the landowner’s coat-of-arms in the corner, appears on the text page.